5 Indian Restaurants That Serve the Best Chaat in Chicago
Chaats, the heart and soul of Indian street food, ignite a spectrum of feelings. They’re a symphony of spicy, sweet, tangy, crunchy, and sour flavors that every Indian adores.
If you’re in Chicago and hunting for some authentic Indian Chaat, look no further.
We’ve compiled a lineup of five Indian eateries delivering mouthwatering Chaats that’ll awaken your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Let’s dive in!
1. Bombay Wraps
Location: 330 E Ohio St #3308, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
In 2010, Ali and Falguni, a husband and wife team, started Bombay Wraps. Their goal was to bring tasty and enjoyable Indian street food to the people of Chicago. Fast forward over ten years, their mission still shines strong. They now run a food truck and three shops, all dedicated to offering modern and delightful Indian cuisine. Bombay Wraps Chicago earns a spot on our top Chicago chaat list because of its enticing fragrances, rich desi flavors, wide range of dishes, and prices that won’t hurt your wallet.
Bombay Wraps Chicago offers a wide variety of Indian street food options including rolls, wraps, lassis, and more. Some of their most popular dishes include:
- Samosa Wrap: This is a tasty blend of peas and potatoes stuffed into your chosen bread, topped with chutney and pickled onions.
- Potato Cauliflower Medley: Enjoy a delightful mix of potatoes, peas, and cauliflower, slow-cooked with authentic Indian spices. It’s finished with mint chutney and pickled onions.
- Chickpea Chana: Slow-cooked chickpeas infused with a blend of exotic Indian spices, served with a side of mint-cilantro chutney.
Cost: Bombay Wrap’s range of Chaats in Chicago is reasonably priced between $3.49 and $9.29.
Location: 70 W Huron St, Chicago, IL 60654, United States
Moti, a top-notch Chaat eatery in Chicago, was founded by Jay Patel almost ten years back. Jay’s culinary journey began in his childhood within a traditional Indian family. He acquired cooking skills from his grandmother, who crafted aromatic and flavorful dishes using fresh ingredients from her home garden. Interestingly, the restaurant’s name ‘Moti,’ signifying ‘pearl,’ pays homage to her legacy.
Moti presents a delectable variety of chaats, ranging from the classic samosa to flatbreads and naans. Some of their standout dishes that you absolutely shouldn’t miss are:
- Naan Bites: These are bite-sized, buttered garlic naans served alongside a spicy tikka sauce for a delightful dip.
- Samosa Pav: This chaat offers the deliciousness of a savory samosa, prepared with potato, peas, and Indian spices, neatly packed between two generously buttered buns.
- Tikka Flatbread: This chaat has the perfect blend of fluffy naan, tikka masala, onions, peppers, your choice of protein, and melted mozzarella cheese.
Cost: Moti’s wide range of Indian chaats in Chicago is averagely priced between $4.99 and $11.99.
3. Egg-O-Holic Chicago
Location: 833 W Chicago Ave FL 1, Chicago, IL 60642, United States
Founded by cousins Bhagyesh, Lay, and Vilas, Egg-o-holic takes its cues from the Laaris of Gujarat. These small street food stalls specialize in egg-based dishes, typically served after sunset, aiming to respect the preferences of the city’s vegetarians. Nowadays, in addition to offering some of Chicago’s finest Chaats, this eatery provides an array of egg-centric delicacies. These span from Bhurji to Lachko, along with Egg Curry and various other choices.
When you have the opportunity to visit Egg-o-holic in Chicago, be sure to experience their highly-loved Indian Chaats, including:
- Samosa Chaat: Enjoy crispy fried dumplings filled with a flavorful blend of peas, potatoes, and spices. They’re accompanied by a tangy tamarind sauce and yogurt for a burst of flavors.
- Bhel Puri: This is a timeless Indian chaat made by mixing puffed rice with crispy wafers, potatoes, onions, mint chutney, and chickpeas.
Cost: Egg-o-holic Chicago’s Chaats, priced between $3.99 and $8.99, provide excellent value for money. It’s a deal you don’t want to miss!
4. Siri Indian Restaurant
Location: 1520 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60607, United States
Siri Indian Restaurant stands out for taking the charm of simple, homemade Indian cuisine to new heights. Their unique menu showcases a wide range of dishes from both Northern and Southern India. Drawing inspiration from the cooking techniques and ingredients of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Siri’s offerings are truly a must-experience.
Siri Indian Restaurant brings the essence of classic Indian Chaats to Chicago with a variety including Bhel Puri, Samosa Chaat, Pani Puri, Dahi Puri, Kachori Chaat, Sev Puri, Dahi Bhalla Chaat, and Aloo Bonda Chaat. Each Chaat captures the authentic flavors of India, thanks to traditional spices, cooking methods, and ingredients that will whisk you away on a culinary journey to the country.
Cost: Siri, one of the best Indian Chaat restaurants in Chicago, offers Chaats priced between $6.99 and $7.99. In our opinion, that is pretty standard for the area.
Location: 2629 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659, United States
Uru-Swati, deriving its name from the ‘Morning Star of Peace’, delights Chicagoans with its exceptional Chaats. Boasting a diverse menu of delightful vegetarian options, Uru-Swati has swiftly gained popularity among locals. Ranging from samosas to dosas, naans, and curries, this restaurant presents a wide array of choices for every palate.
Uru-Swati, another gem of an Indian restaurant in Chicago, is renowned for its extensive selection of genuine desi Chaats. Among their perennial favorites are:
- Papdi Chaat: A harmonious blend of flour crisps, chickpeas, Sev, potatoes, yogurt, and chutneys creates this quintessential Indian Chaat.
- Deluxe Bhel: Giving a twist to the timeless Bhel Puri, this rendition combines puffed rice, green mangoes, potatoes, tomatoes, Sev, exotic Indian spices, chutneys, and onions.
- Dahi Missal: This dish is a delightful fusion of chickpeas, sprouted moong beans, onions, potatoes, yogurt, a special blend of spices, and chutneys.
Cost: Uru-Swati’s Chaats in Chicago are competitively priced between $4.95 and $8.95.
- Where to eat Indian food in Chicago?
For authentic Indian cuisine in Chicago, explore Uru-Swati, Siri Indian Restaurant, and Egg-o-holic. Experience a variety of flavors from classic Chaats to North and South Indian dishes. Don’t miss the mouthwatering offerings at these local favorites.